Saturday, September 30, 2006

Since when did Asians become hot/haute?


Now, I mean that in the most asexual way possible. However, I’ve noticed a change in the wind. This must have been around senior or junior year of high school (2001ish). You would see the fashionable girls with their friends walking down the hall. With fresh hair color, matching Gucci shoes, and louis* messenger bags. It was a wave on the merge. Year after year I’d notice these women, girls, or even men; at the gas stations, in the airport, at Wal-Mart, and every time I saw them I was astonished by how simple yet fashionable these trendsetters are put together.

Now, don’t get me wrong…I am no ugly Betty in her sponge bob pajamas swishing around in her outdated house shoes. I’m well into fashion, and keep up with myself. Whether it’s a new Chloe bag I have to have, or that lipstick that taunting me to get at Sephora, I make sure to look my best.

However, there is something different about these women. It’s like; you will not find one teen or adult out of sync (respectively referring to fashion) even if it’s a quick trip. They must all be in some underground cult.... For example, just the other night, I’m at Target shopping for some regular products in the beauty aisle. You know the Olay wash cloths, some nail remover; that sort of thing. I notice this Young family, (Father, Mother and young boy). The mother had to be around 30. However, this diva had on some designer jeans, teal shirt “rock and republic”, a patent matching bag, matching eye shadow (I bet some real unapologetic brand like NARS), and some funky heels, also designer, and her hair was in a fresh angular new short cut. I’m thinking, “All this for TARGET?” I try to make some sense of it, by telling myself, “she must have been out to dinner or something earlier,” but the truth is she most likely got all jazzed up just for shopping at our friendly neighborhood store…

Now I’m definitely, not a “label whore,” so it’s not just the Damier bag that has amazed me, it’s much more than that with these women. It’s a sense of style! I don’t know how this came about or what day it was that I woke up and the dominating fashionistas turned Asian, but it’s definitely something that needs to be known. Growing up, I really never noticed any of them. I hate to say it, and to say it in that way. It’s the honest truth though. Walahi, we only new them as indha yare ( Somali..) Well, they have my attention now is all I have to say. Asians Rule!

No comments: